Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Changes...

Right now my dinner arriving would make me really, really, really, really happy.
It's almost 8:30 and I am sitting in a stupid hotel room in Philadelphia. Which, if you know me, is one of my least favorite places to travel. It's dark. It's raining. I don't know where I am, and I refuse to go out...so, I'm waiting. Waiting. Waiting.
I've come to the realization that it might be time to change jobs. I don't enjoy my job. On top of that, I'm actually not very good at it. I'm finding a lot of things very frustrating and shady, and I'm just not into shadiness. I feel isolated. I no longer trust my boss, and if you can't trust your boss then who can you trust? Working from home is not all it's cracked up to be. I miss having friends at work. I miss leaving the house. I think that I am depressed, and working from home is certainly not helping. I think I need to leave the house and have human interaction everyday. Yes, I see Marc everyday, but not for very long since we have opposite schedules. And, I need to see people other than Marc. The problem is that I would be giving up a lot of good benefits, and I'm debating on if that is the right choice or not. I'm feeling that obviously all of this material benefits are not all that, if they were I would be happy, and they aren't making me happy. But, they do make things easier.
On top of that, I hate the travel. I don't think hate is strong enough of a word for how I feel about it. And, I dread the travel. When I have a trip coming up (a trip that involves a flight and spending nights some where...) I dread it from the moment it is booked. I then count the time down until I get to go home. And then start dreading the next trip. Right now, I'm in Philly dreading going to Detroit.
The next obstacle is that obviously this isn't a very good job market. There are zero jobs listed any where in my field. I'm fine with changing fields. I just don't feel that I'm qualified to do anything. Anything else that is.
Going back to school would be an option, but with this job that would be virtually impossible since I travel and my schedule is not consistent from week to week. Plus, I'm sort of into instant gratification, and going back to school would not give me that.
I'm also sort of stuck with location. Right now, I'm probably looking at an hour commute to get to Indy...and I'm not sure I'm feeling that.
I just don't know what to do, but something needs to change because this isn't cutting it.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I know your pain. I have hated my job for the last year. And there are alot of good things about it, I'm just burnt out. Sounds like you are too and I can't say as I blame you since you're gone all the time. I would hate it for sure.

Keep your head and keep looking. You'll find something that sounds interesting and that you will be good at!